Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Flick Soup and Salsa

It has been raining all day, seems like a perfect day to get cozy and make soup. The Seinfeld gang loved their soup, so does my gang here at home.
When I make soup, I usually saute my veggies in oil to get them partially cooked and to impart the flavor in the oil. Because of time, I just added them to the stock. They will cook that way, but will boil instead and have a different - but good - taste.  This soup is a "short cut" soup that will tastes delicious and fill your craving for homemade soup in a lot less time than cooking up a whole chicken. It's the kind of recipe that you can increase or decrease very easily, just add more or less of everything!  And bonus: it's healthy and low calorie. (BTW: Please excuse the cleavage, I did not know how low the shirt was! Won't happen again, promise. : -)
If you calorie counting, or points plus counting, measure out a serving of rice to keep you on track for your daily count.
I visited my friend, Emily, the other day and she graciously bestowed on me the bounties of her garden. When I told her I was going to make salsa with the little yellow plum tomatoes, she requested I add it to my Friday Flick. Here you go, Emily!

Note:  Items demonstrated are shown under the tab "Featured Kitchen Gadgets".

For those who would like the recipes they are listed below:

Shortcut Chicken Soup
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. olive oil 
Saute the above in a 5 quart stock pot or dutch oven or just add to broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite size pieces
Saute or add to broth
4 1/2 quarts water  2 Tbsp. chicken base
or  4 1/2 quarts chicken stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
Simmer on medium heat until chicken is cooked (approx. 30 min.) 
1,2,3 Rice in Rice Cooker:
1 - cup rice
2 - cups water or chicken broth
Equals 3 cups rice

Salsa
6 cups fresh tomatoes (whole) 
1/4 cup red onion 
1 jalapeno 
1 tbsp. apple cider or red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cilantro (parsley or celery leaves)
1 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic (add another if you like a lot of garlic flavor)
1/4 tsp. Salt 
1/2 tsp. Pepper
Combine the above in a food processor until all blended, pour
into a bowl, serve with chips and enjoy!
If it appears a little watery because of the fresh tomatoes, run it
through a colander.


                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.