Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday's Photos, The Incredible Edible Egg


Over the years, this little orb of goodness and protein has gotten a bad rap.  Here are a couple links that set the egg record straight:
http://www.aeb.org/
http://www.eggsafety.org/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608


Ninety-nine percent of my kitchen gadgets are currently residing in my barn (see photo).  I'm quite sure they are confused as to why they have been relegated to storage. That's okay, though, because in the next few week they will have a lovely, permanent home in the new cabinets.
I tried to use the bare minimum dishes because I have to use our upstairs bathroom sink to do my dishes until my kitchen gets put back together again.



On the menu:  Egg Salad Lettuce Cups and Pepper & Shallot Fritatta

The difference between a fritatta and an omelet:
Omelets traditionally have the egg mixture cooked and folded around a filling, while a frittata just mixes it all up, cooked in a mishmash combination all at once. Frittatas are often served at room temperature, making them perfect for brunches or larger groups (credit: About.com)

All gadgets mentioned or shown will be on the Kitchen Gadget Page. I posted several egg gadgets on that page that I have, but was not able to show you today.

Egg Salad Lettuce Cups
5 hard cooked eggs (done in Cuisinart Egg Cooker)
1/2 Shallot
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil Mayo
Four Romaine Lettuce leaves
S & P to taste


Makes four, generously filled lettuce cups.

Chop the eggs to the consistency that you enjoy for egg salad, I like mine chunky. Finely chop the shallot, add it to the eggs along with mayo, salt and pepper. Spoon into lettuce cups, serve on a pretty platter, enjoy! My photo only shows three, but you'll see a pink bowl in the upper left that has enough egg mixture for another lettuce cup.

The kitchen gadget that I would normally use to chop eggs & the shallot  for egg salad is the Pampered Chef food chopper, but seeing that it is readily available, I went to the good old standby: Victorinox 6 in. Chef knife and cutting board.


Weight Watchers Points Plus:
One egg = 2 P+
One Tbsp Olive Oil Mayo  = 1 P+
Lettuce = 0 P+
Green Pepper = 0 P+
Shallot = 0 P+
One Sandwich Thin = 3 P+
American Cheese 2% Slice =  2 P+ 


Pepper & Shallot Fritatta
One half green pepper, chopped finely
1/2 Shallot, chopped finely
Five eggs scrambled with one Tbsp. water or milk, S&P
(If you look closely at the eggs, the darker yolk eggs are from a local farm, the others are store bought)
Two slices 2% American Cheese
Two Sandwich Thins
Makes two extra large sandwiches or three average sandwiches.

In my in my non stick Presto Skillet (very lightly sprayed with Pam Olive Oil spray) set at 350 degrees, I added the green pepper, and shallot. These were sauteed until soft and spread out evenly. The eggs were poured over and quickly mixed with cooked vegetables. The eggs were allowed to set in a square shape, then I carefully flipped it, let it cook two more minutes, cut it in half, added a slice of cheese to each half, covered until the cheese was melted. Served at room temperature in a Sandwich Round.   These were served to our electrician and my husband. If you are counting your WW points, eliminate the cheese, and cut back the number of eggs.
My bare bones kitchen 



Kitchen Gadgets Temporary Resting Place





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.