Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Friday Photos: Nearly there Kitchen Pics & Healthy Thanksgiving Side Recipes

A few more details to button up and the kitchen renovation should be done.  The pictures below were taken this morning. Can't wait for it to be all done! The new Electrolux range, Maytag dishwasher are in. Tomorrow the LG French door fridge will be delivered.  Then my work begins, bringing in and putting away everything.  This is as close to moving as I ever want to get! I have to keep telling myself, "It'll all be worth it."

Because all my kitchen gadgets are still in the barn waiting for shelves to be installed in my kitchen, I'll give you a couple healthy and delicious recipes for Thanksgiving side dishes.  These recipes are from the Canyon Ranch Nourish cookbook. For those counting Weight Watchers points, I've included the Nutrition Facts.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Canyon Ranch Nourish Cookbook 




Mashed Butternut Squash with Maple Syrup
Makes six 1/2 cup servings.

3 lbs. butternut squash
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
Pinch sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. unsalted butter

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves in a large baking pan cut side down.  Add enough water to barely cover the bottom of the pan.
3.  Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until the squash is very tender.
4. Scoop out the cooked squash and *transfer it to a medium mixing bowl.
Add the maple syrup, salt, pepper and butter. With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat until smooth.

*At this point I put the squash into a ricer and rice it into a mixing bowl.

Nutrition Note:  Butternut squash provides as much beta carotene, potassium, and fiber as sweet potatoes but with fewer calories because of its higher water content.

90 calories
19 g carbohydrate
2 g fat
5 mg cholesterol
2 g protein
125 mg sodium
5 g fiber



Parsnip Carrot Puree
Makes eight 1/3 cup servings.

This puree is a great alternative to mashed potatoes that's rich in vitamins A and C and antioxidants.


3/4 pound parsnips (about 3 med.) peeled
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. chopped scallions
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. evaporated cane juice (sugar)

1.  Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
2.  Chop the parsnips and carrots into 1 inch cubes.  Place in the boiling water and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
3.  Place the vegetables in a blender and add the butter, scallions, salt, and cane juice(sugar). Puree until smooth.*
*Once again, the vegetables can be put through a ricer.

85 calories
12 g carbohydrates
4 g fat
1 g protein
342 mg sodium
3 g fiber




Well, here it is and it's almost done. 
If you are a Food Network addict like I am, you'll see some familiar components in my kitchen that are in the Neeley's kitchen and Miss Paula Deen's kitchen.  






New area carpets will be put down once all work and workers are done.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Cheryl - it's beautiful! I'm not a huge fan of black countertops, but I love how this turned out. The cabinets are lovely - I really like the scrolly detail on the cabinet above the stove. Love the floors...the woodstove (what is behind it?)...the sink...it's all so nice! I don't quite relate to the last picture (in a hallway?) so I'm hoping you do a video walkthrough and talk about the project sometime soon. Do you have some before/after shots from different parts of the room? Would love to see those, too. I've seen most (or all) of your videos, but I think we were just seeing one portion of the room, right?

    Are you hosting Thanksgiving at your house? If so, this is finishing up pretty close to the wire!

    Congrats! And wishing you many years of fun and cooking in your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,
    I had the same reservations about the black countertop, but took a leap of faith and so far, I'm pretty happy with it. It's called Black Galaxy. It has copper flecks throughout.

    The original farmer's sink I ordered was to have a copper faceplate, but the company had me wait 11 weeks then when I called for the update, they stammered and said they needed another 14 weeks. Pretty sure it was not a legitimate company.
    I called AMEX and cancelled the order, then found a great company, Signature Hardware, and in three days had that beautiful black granite sink you see.
    I will do a video walk through to give more cohesiveness to the photos. I do have before and after that I will post on Webshots and post the link on my blog.
    The pantry is a hallway off the kitchen, it'll all make sense when I get the video and other photos posted.
    Not having Thanksgiving, it would be to close to call, but I will be having Christmas here.
    Looking forward to sharing photos and recipes on here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEW! Breathing a sigh of relief for you about Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Mom; glad to see and hear you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.