Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

My Oh My, It's Blueberry (Mini) Pie!


It's Friday the 13th!  Turns out this is a good day for me....I have yummy mini blueberry pies on my menu.

Along with cake pops, cute, little, mini pies are moving right along  on the food trend train.  So when I saw this Chicago Metallic "Cut Pie Set" on Amazon, I knew I wanted to give it a try.  
It is one of the new gadgets I got for myself for Christmas.  Along with the pie set, I also ordered a cookbook Cutie Pies, by Dani Cone. (See Amazon links below.) I found the Mini Pies, book (publisher; Love Food) at T.J.Maxx. 
The recipe for the pies below did not come from either of those cookbooks.  I took the shortcut route to use some of my pantry items.  I had a ready made box of pie crusts & a can of Comstock blueberry filling.  Although it was a shortcut, the end result was delicious.
After experimenting with cutting the pie crusts, I found my second attempt on the second pie crust worked out better, there was much less piecing together of pie dough to make the circle whole (see photos). 

The pie pan works beautifully, it produces perfect little pies. I can see me making sweet & savory pies in this fun little gadget.


  Mini Blueberry Pies 
Makes four mini pies.
Preheat oven 425 degrees
Ingredients
1 can Comstock filling (your choice)
1 box of Pillsbury Pie Crusts (2 in a box)
Nutrition Facts listed below
Roll out the dough as directed. Use the cutter provided with the pie set to cut out four tops and four bottoms.  
Spray pie pans with vegetable spray, fit the bottom crusts; add filling leaving 1/2 inch at the top, gently set the pie crust tops on the filling. Press edges together.  Spray the top crust with vegetable spray, or use an egg wash.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes.  
Watch your pies, once the top crust gets brown, remove from oven.  Cool, 10 min.
Pop the pies up from the bottom, remove the removable bottom, enjoy!

                                             

What's in the box.

Shortcut: Two ingredients - pie crust & pie filling


Two large, one small cut out.

Pieced together top crust.

Second pie crust, cut outs placed a little better. One still needed to be pieced together.

Bottom crusts fitted and filled.

Top pie crusts, placed and crimped. Cut out pieces & extra dough saved for another  use.

Bubbly, brown and baked. I put the pie pan on another pan just in case of a spill over.

Popped out of pan via the removable bottom. One pie is shown upside down to show bottom crust.

Slightly cooled, ready to eat.

Blueberry Filling Nutrition Facts

Servings per container 7
Calories            100
Calories from fat 0
Total Fat           0
Cholesterol       0
Sodium            10
Total Carbs     24g
Dietary Fiber  1 g
Sugars             17g
Protein             0g

Pillsbury Pie Crusts Nutrition Facts

Servings Size 1/8 crust
Servings Per Container 16
Total Fat                   6g
Saturated Fat           2.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat  .5g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
Sodium  130 mg
Total Carbs 12g
Fiber 0
Sugar 0
Protein less than 1g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.