Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

A Melt In Your Mouth Almond Cake!

  I'm back and I'm making up for lost time!

 I'm posting twice this week to make up for my absence. I had good reasons.
My daughter & son in law's new baby, (Gianna d/o/b June 5, 2012 in Arizona); my other daughter & future son in law's upcoming wedding (June 23rd) here on our ten acre property in Massachusetts have had my busy in a good way.


I hope you enjoy the scrumptious almond cake on this post and the two delicious pressure cooker recipes on my other post.


This would be a great summer dessert, maybe serve some berries on the side. I really hope you try this cake.
It's easy to prepare, and takes about 45 min. to bake.  Every time I write this recipe out for some one, my mouth waters and I wish for a piece!

Gadget:  12 inch Kaiser Half Cake Pan/Scandinavian Almond Cake Pan.
Serve on a pretty rectangular bread/cake tray. (See below for both items.)
You may be able to find similar items at a Homegoods store near you.

I've made this melt in your mouth, highly addictive almond cake a few times and it has gotten rave reviews from guests. It makes a great impression when brought along for as a hostess gift too!  The cake is moist, the almond flavor is outstanding!

The Recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/scandinavian-almond-cake-347453 with almonds
http://www.food.com/recipe/Scandinavian-Almond-Cake-345913 without almonds
Ingredients:


Directions:


  1. 1
    Beat sugar, egg, extract, and milk together.
  2. 2
    In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
  3. 3
    Combine the two mixtures and add melted butter.
  4. 4
    Mix well.
  5. 5
    Grease loaf pan and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Pour in batter.
  6. 6
    Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. Edges must be golden brown. Cool in pan before removing. Cake will break if removed too soon!        (NO NEED...SEE MY EASY GLIDE CAKE BELOW)
  7. 7.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  (OR YOU CAN USE SANDING SUGAR, PLAIN OR COLORED FOR THE OCCASION YOU ARE BAKING IT FOR)



As mentioned above, you can use a loaf pan, or if you want to get a bit fancy, you can use the traditional Scandinavian Almond Cake pan.  I've used both and each pan works just fine.  Be sure to spray the pan liberally with Baker's Secret, or Crisco.



                                   .   


Pan and Ingredients

Pan showing the almond indents.

Smooth, shiney, light batter. Whipped & whisked with a fork.
Dry ingredients, mixed in with a fork.  Melted butter incorporated slowly.

Spray liberally with Baker's Joy, you'll thank me.

Added whole almonds.

Put a dollop of batter to hold the almonds in place.
Then added the remainder of the batter.

This is about how it should look in the pan.

After 45 minutes, done!

Glided easily out of the pan onto a cooling rack.

Getting ready to liberally dust with confectionery sugar.
Added sanding sugar to center indent.

Dusted and plated.

First cut reveals almond, and buttery edges.
Almond aroma is heavenly!

Photo of the Scandinavian Almond Cake that was
given to me this past Christmas from my
daughter's future mother in law. Beautifully decorated & wrapped.
Until then, I had never had or heard of this cake.
Not sure if that was a good or bad thing!
It's so delicious! I try to find reasons to bake and take it places,
it's that good. I urge you to give it a try sometime.
If you have any questions or comments, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.