This is one of my favorite apple pie recipes that I can always count on to taste delicious.
I've used the Apple Pie Recipe that can be found on the side of the Crisco can. Even though I don't make my crusts all of the time, I still like their pie filling recipe listed below:
- Double Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1.PREPARE recipe for double crust pie. Roll out dough for bottom crust. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Press to fit without stretching dough. Trim even with pie plate. Do not bake.
- 2.HEAT oven to 400ºF.
- 3.PEEL, core and slice apples. Toss with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Pour into unbaked pie crust; dot with butter. Cover with top crust; seal and flute edge. Brush with egg white. Cut slits for steam to escape.
- 4.ROLL additional crust to 1/8-inch thickness. With small 1/2-inch star cookie cutter, cut 20 to 25 stars. Place 1 star on rim of top crust; brush with egg white. Repeat until rim is covered.
- 5.COMBINE cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over crust. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until pie is golden brown and apples are tender.
If you would like to try making your own crusts, here is the link to the entire recipe:
I tested two brands of apple peelers and found that only one was up to the task.
|Progressive Apple Peeler|
|Even after making adjustments, the Progresso peeler|
didn't work consistently.
|It cut the slices, but didn't peel the apple.|
|This one is made by Green Mountain in Vermont,|
but Amazon has the comparable version
made by Victorio shown below in red.
|The top apple was done on the |
Progressive peeler. The other apple was
done with the Green Mountain peeler.
Amazon carries a comparable Victorio model.
|Pillsbury premade pie crust. I sprinkled a generous|
amount of Cinnamon Maple sugar on to the crust and
pressed it into the pie crust.
|I mixed the sliced apples with all the seasonings in a big bowl ,|
put them into the raw pie crust, topped the apples
with 1/4 cup of butter cut in "pats".