Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pappardelle Recipe and the Pasta Making Gadgets

I was craving homemade pasta and I like to try different pasta dough recipes. This time I took the ingredients from Chef Anne Burrell's recipe and instead of doing it by hand, as she does, I used my gadgets.
The pasta came out tender and rich.  I served it with a homemade quick sauce.

If you have a craving and don't have the gadgets

Gadgets used:
(all can be found on Amazon - scroll to the bottom of this post for direct links)
Food scale to weigh flour
Food processor to mix all ingredients
KitchenAid mixer
KitchenAid pasta rollers
KitchenAid pasta drying rack

Chef Anne's All-Purpose Pasta Dough

Ingredients

1 pound all-purpose flour
4 whole eggs, plus 1 yolk
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
1 to 2 tablespoons water or more if needed

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/chef-annes-all-purpose-pasta-dough-recipe.html?oc=linkback


Note:

I needed to use 6 medium eggs to one pound flour.


When the dough mixture has come together in the food processor (rolls around like a ball), empty the dough onto a floured surface and knead.  At this point you can follow Chef Ann's directions on kneading.

From Chef Ann:

When kneading it is VERY important to put your body weight into it, get on top of the dough to really stretch it and not to tear the dough. Using the heels of your palms, roll the dough to create a very smooooooth, supple dough. When done the dough should look VERY smooth and feel almost velvety. Kneading will usually take from 8 to 10 minutes for an experienced kneader and 10 to 15 for an inexperienced kneader. Put your body weight into it, you need to knead! This is where the perfect, toothsome texture of your pasta is formed. Get in there and have fun!

When the pasta has been kneaded to the perfect consistency, wrap it in plastic and let rest for at least 1 hour. If using immediately do not refrigerate.











1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, you're right -- kitchen toys are fun! I'm giving away a great set of Le Creuset this week -- a set that I just love. I like making individual desserts and casseroles. AND I love making pasta, but this lovely post reminded me that it's been waaaaaay too long since I've made any! Thanks for motivating me!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.