Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Homemade Wheat Pasta with Olive Oil & Garlic

Seems every new year many folks start out "gung ho" on the healthy band wagon.  I guess, I'm no different.

I found a whole wheat pasta recipe that sounded like a good compromise from an entirely white flour recipe that I always use. This recipe calls for using half white flour, and half wheat flour, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I'm usually pretty good about reading reviews and taking the advice of the folks that have tried the recipe. Nope, not today. I jumped right in.
After adding the wet ingredients to the dry, I saw that the dough wasn't coming together, so I added a little more oil and a little more water.  That worked!  When I went back to the recipe, I read the first review, it read: "I had to add water..", other reviewers had the same comment.
 
I removed the dough from the food processor, still not quite together, and put it on a floured surface, kneaded it a minute or two, and formed it into a nice round ball. Covered it and let it set for 30 minutes at room temperature. Then started the kneading process through the Kitchenaid rollers. The secret is to run the piece of dough through whichever number settings you use, at least three times.  I used #1, #2  and #4, any thinner the dough started to tear.

Gadgets used: Flour sifter, Cuisinart 14 cup food processor, Kitchenaid mixer and Pasta Roller Attachments, Pasta Drying Rack, non stick Cuisinart Model #622-24 10 inch skillet.
(See below for product info.)

Revised  Whole Wheat Pasta recipe: (makes about 1 lb.)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used Italian 00, that I bought on Amazon, I split my order w/a friend)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/4  cup (approx.) room temperature water (add SLOWLY until dough comes together)

Directions

  1. Sift together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl. Pour into your food processor fitted with the regular or dough blade.  Put the eggs in a measuring cup, along with the olive oil. Turn the food processor on. As the flour mixtures mixes, slowly add the egg and olive oil mixture. If needed, slowly add the water, and pulse until dough comes together or almost comes together. If needed, put the mixture onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is stiff and elastic. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes to relax.  (The dough can also be mixed in your Kitchenaid w/dough paddle.)
  2. Roll out dough by hand with a rolling pin, or use a pasta machine to achieve the desired thickness of noodles. Cut into desired width and shapes. Allow the pasta to air dry for at least 15 minutes to avoid having it clump together.

To cook fresh pasta: (I cooked my pasta simply in garlic and oil.)
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil (you have to add salt to water to help season the fresh pasta).
Add the pasta, slightly lower the heat so it doesn't boil over. Pasta will be done in 2 or 3 minutes. When it floats to the top, it's done.  

Ingredients

Dough hook in the food processor bowl

Sifted wheat & white 00 flours

Blended, but not quite together. At this point slowly add water 'till it forms a ball.

Kneaded and shaped wheat dough.

Kitchenaid Pasta Stand, Rollers & Epicurean 6 qt. mixer.

Rested dough, cut into 8 pieces.

After running the first piece through on #1 setting three times.

After running the first piece through on #2 setting three times.

After running the first piece through on #4 setting three times.

Cut the strip in half.

This is the wide noodle attachment.

Using the acrylic rod that comes with the Pasta Stand,
grab the noodles and deliver them to the drying rods.

Slide the noodles from the rod, directly onto drying rods.

Salted boiling water and fresh wheat noodles in Saladmaster pot.

Cooked & drained noodles sauteing in already heated garlic & oil.

Good enough to eat, and I did!
If you have the Camel,Camel,Camel app for your Chrome or Firefox browser, set an alert for this item, as it has been offered as low as $32.  You can set alerts for any Amazon products.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.