Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Babycakes, it's warm inside!

I couldn't help myself. I'm a sucker for a bargain, and if it's on a kitchen gadget...I'm there.
This week someone posted a Kohl's deal that I couldn't pass up on Babycakes cake pop maker.  The deal:
Regularly $25, sale $14.99  + 20% off = 11.99, then there is a  $10 rebate  = $1.99   Really, can you blame me?

So a few minutes ago, I gave it a try.  It's awesome! So cute, so easy, so fun,  so delicious, so many possibilities.

The directions give you a "from scratch" recipe, but I decided to try a conventional cake mix.  It works great with a cake mix.   The babycakes machine comes with a fork tool to pop them out of the machine so you don't burn yourself and is also helpful in dipping them; a cooling rack and pop stand, a package of cake pop sticks and an injector if you want to fill them.  The machine has a red light - Power, and a green light - Ready. Ready only applies to when the appliance is ready for the batter. You have to use your own timer set to 4 - 5 minutes, then check with a toothpick or cake tester to see if it comes out clean - then it's ready.

In the photos, you'll see that I sprayed them with Baker's Joy. I prefer this over Pam for baking as it doesn't impart any flavor into the baked goods.  
After putting batter into the first well with the scoop shown in the photo, it was obvious the scoop was too big, so you might opt for the smallest scoop (1 Tbsp.) or just use a measuring tablespoon.
There are a few videos from individuals online, but they seem to have a big mess afterwards to clean the wells, because they overfilled or didn't use the Baker's Joy.  I learned from their mistakes, I thank them for that.

I warmed some German chocolate premade frosting in the microwave, swirled the cute little cake spheres into the frosting while the frosting and cake was still hot. Popped it in my mouth.  Delicious.  I didn't wait for the cake to cool, but the frosting would probably set better had I waited.   I'm not sure how many pops one cake batter makes, as I wanted to do one batch and post this for you.

I can see myself filling these chocolate cake goodies with whip cream and having a whoopie pie tasting pop, or dipping them in chocolate and rolling them in jimmies/sprinkles or coconut or nuts.

The book comes with some recipes, but your only limited by your imagination with this little kitchen gadget.

If you have children or grandchildren, this would be such a fun project to do with them anytime.

With my love of starches, I'm thinking maybe of putting some bread dough in the machine and dip into spaghetti sauce.   I welcome any other ideas you might have.  For sure, I'd be happy to try them out!

This is the item on Amazon, it is sold by another party through Amazon.  I did write to Amazon to tell them this price is way off from other vendors. Not sure if that'll have any affect of the seller's willingness to lower the price, but here it is none the less.

P.S. I sneaked in a pic of part of the Christmas decorations in my house.






 Christmas, partially decorated.
(All my cast iron cookware is in & under the old school desk.)
 Here it is, cute huh?
 Cake batter, scoop, Baker's Joy & babycake machine.
 Batter: The first one I overfilled, you only need 1 Tbsp.
 Cooked
 Popped out of the appliance, clean and ready for the next batch.
 Warmed frosting glazed onto warm cake.


You'll notice some of the slots are empty. Yes, I ate them. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any gadgets you'd like to see used? Do you have any favorites of your own? Post suggestions, ideas, reviews.